Author: Christine Clepper Museer
Categories: Local History
Book Type: Trade Paperback
Established in 1757, Silver Spring Township is the fourth-oldest township in Cumberland County. The area was founded by the Scots-Irish, who cleared the area for farming and built taverns, inns, and mercantile businesses. Eventually, the villages of Hogestown and New Kingstown were established; these two villages are still home to many township residents. Rich in history, Silver Spring is home to the Silver Spring Presbyterian Church, the oldest church west of the Susquehanna River. Between 2012 and 2013, Silver Spring Township was the fourth-largest growing township in Pennsylvania. What were once heavily traveled Native American trails have become well-traveled highways and byways, and within a few hours, travelers can be in New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, DC. Through vintage photographs, Silver Spring Township shares and celebrates the history of this well-preserved community.